Project Wingman: Ace Combat inspired game on Kickstarter (2024)

T

TheQuietOne

• May 30, 2018
  • #1

Project Wingman is an arcade style jet combat game in the style of Ace Combat. It's reached its $26,227 Kickstarter goal on its first day, no doubt because its already been under development for several years and has a pretty decent demo available. I tried it with a controller, and it felt pretty damn good.

The Demo includes:

• 3 Fighters: F/A-18, Su-27, and an Saab Viggen (Under Copyright Friendly Names)
  • Several types of missiles
  • 3 Missions: Combat Air Patrol, Air Superiority, and a Facility attack that's CAS focused.

This seems really awesome. I've been looking for an game like this on PC for a really long time and this definitely scratches that itch.

Makoto Naegi

Nil Desperandum
  • May 30, 2018
  • #2

As long as I can paint my Flanker in Yellow Squadron colors, I'll be happy.

ShaneWallis123

• May 30, 2018
  • #3

this looks fun going to download the demo

G

ghost armor 1337

• Jun 1, 2018
  • #4

so what the story?

Arde645

🌌Pretty light!🌌
  • Jun 6, 2018
  • #5

Well, tried it out and it's pretty fun.

The explosion physics are pretty great too, since there now appears to be an explosion radius around missiles/aircraft now which I found out the hard way after I hit the enemy I was targeting just as they were about to pass below me with a missile. Took out a good 22 hull points.

Game seems pretty easy though, was gunning down fighters left and right while in the SAAB.

RecklessPrudenc

They/Them

• Jun 27, 2018
  • #6

New demo! Adds the first pass of Conquest mode, aka Mercenary mode. You start with one old plane, take missions to earn both Credits and Prestige, hire both wingmen in jets similar to your own and your own 'reconditioned' (read: salvaged scrap metal bought on the cheap) aerial cruisers, buy more advanced jets, and then lose it all when you crash into the f*cking flaming wreckage of a B-52 or aerial cruiser or something that you went in for guns on. When you start again, you keep your Prestige, but lose your Credits.

Also, since anyone interested in this is likely at least passingly aware of the Ace Combat series, considering its inspiration:

Linkstore

• Nov 12, 2020
  • #7

Just a bit ago the release date for Project Wingman was revealed...

And since it hasn't been posted in this thread yet, the Gamescom trailer:

I know people have been discussing this game in the Ace Combat 7 thread but that thread's for that game.

RecklessPrudenc

They/Them

• Nov 19, 2020
  • #8

First mission. Warning: Is played with typical game-journalist competence. You may end up gritting your teeth at something during this video, for me it was the repeated firing of two missiles at clear one-missile targets like PT boats.

Please note the top-left after the briefing software boots - they've got an in-universe WinRar license/activate Windows notification for the briefing software, and it's expired, because who ever pays for WinRar unless there's an audit or something coming?

Luke Danger

That would be so cool if it wasn't going to hurt
  • Nov 19, 2020
  • #9

RecklessPrudenc said:

Project Wingman: Ace Combat inspired game on Kickstarter (8) Hah!

Also, they actually give you a WSO while keeping the pilot silent. Wonder if this means two-seaters only, or if Prez only shows up for missions where you use a two-seater?

RecklessPrudenc

They/Them

• Nov 19, 2020
  • #10

Luke Danger said:

Project Wingman: Ace Combat inspired game on Kickstarter (10) Hah!

According to a Kickstarter update a few months ago, Prez only shows up when you're flying a two-seater. Some lines are unique to her, she will banter with other pilots and AWACS, and you won't be drowned in friendly voice-acting if you've got her, because some other sources of lines will be reduced. There will still be more when you've brought Prez, but not like, normal lines + Prez' ones. Which means if you want to hear ALL the lines, you might need to play each mission with and without Prez!

K

KoBB

Adviser (NSFD)

• Nov 22, 2020
  • #11

Key details after watching the demo footage:

• Game takes place in our world, centuries after some sort of tectonic cataclysm reshaped the Earth's surface. The in-universe post apocalypse calendar is referred to as After Calamity. Obvious reference is obvious.
  • Story involves a militaristic superpower called the Federation trying to prevent one of its member states from seceding, you play as a mercenary squadron hired by the rebels.
  • All the aircraft are pastiches of real world aircraft since the devs can't afford the licenses.
  • Certain aircraft can carry multiple special weapons.
  • In a nod to AC0, it seems you can destroy civilian targets for extra points.
  • There are enemy ace squadron encounters.
  • Allied NPCs seem to be a lot more useful compared to AC.
  • Physics appear to be more weightier from what I've seen, similar to AC4.
  • Prez is Best Girl.

Last edited:

RecklessPrudenc

They/Them

• Nov 24, 2020
  • #12

Playthroughs of the first two missions by an Ace Combat Youtuber. First one is the same we've already seen through IGN, but second one is where the game kicks into gear. The enemy has already noticed an anomalously good pilot by halfway through the mission, there's an aerial destroyer putting out a lot of flak, the Itano Circus has come to town, and Heavy Gun Pods are 40mm derp cannons that look fun as hell.

Last edited:

A

AMARDA

• Dec 1, 2020
  • #13

So playing this game, the planes feel a lot heavier then Ace Combat. Not bad, just really different.

RecklessPrudenc

They/Them

• Dec 1, 2020
  • #14

AMARDA said:

I haven't played AC04 in a while, but they feel like my memory of that. AC04 had a much different flight model to the other two PS2 games, and when I first played 5 it was a revelation in how much more mobile my plane was. I think PW uses an AC04-inspired flight model, with tweaks.

Carvor

• Dec 1, 2020
  • #15

Finished the game, overall definitely worth the money, and an extremely impressive product for a 2 man team. The ending did leave me a bit disappointed though.

Mashadarof402

• Dec 2, 2020
  • #16

Does anyone know how to remap the shoulder buttons? Doesn't seem to be one of the options in the config menu. Because I'm far too used to L2 and R2 being the throttle controls and I keep yawing when I want to accelerate/decelerate and vice versa.

A

AMARDA

• Dec 2, 2020
  • #17

Mashadarof402 said:

You need to go into Axis settings to remap those.

EchoDelta4

• Dec 2, 2020
  • #18

I remember the demo had some pretty janky Mouse and Keyboard controls, are they better in-game now? (I'm too lazy to get a controller, and I've never used one before)

Mashadarof402

• Dec 2, 2020
  • #19

Carvor said:

As someone just starting out, any superplanes in this game, or is it all real world stuff?

Linkstore

• Dec 2, 2020
  • #20

Mashadarof402 said:

There are fictional fighters, yeah.

Mashadarof402

• Dec 2, 2020
  • #21

Well, gave the Frogfoot a try. Double heavy gunpods are fun, be it exploding tanks or heavy bombers.

Maybe it's just me, but the Standard Missiles seem to have much better homing capability compared to AC. Easier to hit targets with gunsights too

Last edited:

SpicyTaco

FOREVER SMILES
  • Dec 2, 2020
  • #22

This game is amazing, loved the soundtrack for mission 11. They really knocked it out of the ballpark

A

AMARDA

• Dec 2, 2020
  • #23

Yeah, mission 11 is pretty much Mayhem from Ace Combat Zero, but done in a more modern engine. Like, that is INSANE how well they managed to recapture that chaotic dogfight style!

ShaneWallis123

• Dec 2, 2020
  • #24

On the refinary mission is it possible to kill Crimson? i managed to nearly get one, but ran out of missiles before i could get the kill. I feel i could have got all of them if i didn't waste my GUN ammo on ground targets, most of my air kills tend to be gun ones

Project Wingman: Ace Combat inspired game on Kickstarter (21)

K

KoBB

Adviser (NSFD)

• Dec 2, 2020
  • #25

Hoo boy...

The Waldreich Disaster has nothing on what the Federation does to Cascadia in the latter half of the campaign.

ShaneWallis123 said:

Project Wingman: Ace Combat inspired game on Kickstarter (22)

I believe you can shoot one of them down, which causes the rest of Crimson to retreat.

You must log in or register to reply here.

Project Wingman: Ace Combat inspired game on Kickstarter (2024)
Top Articles